Skip to content
Back to News

Older properties 'require professionals to install thermal insulation'

Owners of older properties should seek professional advice on thermal insulation, one expert has advised.

Andrew Leech, director of the National Home Improvement Council (NHIC), said a number of difficulties can arise when heating decades-old homes, so specialists must be consulted.

He stated: "Particularly with pre-1930s houses - the Edwardian and Victorian eras - where they have got solid walls, you can't have cavity insulation."

Homeowners who want to bring their properties up to standard should apply insulation internally "through some sort of sheet form", but those who are not residing in conservation areas can fit it externally, Mr Leech added.

On Monday (October 1st), an alternative to the government's Green Deal was offered by the Energy Saving Co-operative and Ecology Building Society.

Under pilot schemes in Oxfordshire and the Midlands, householders will receive free advice on energy-saving improvements fitted by trusted local tradespeople.

Mr Leech recommended homeowners hire reliable, trained experts who do not charge extortionate prices for thermal insulation.

Posted by Rachel Jenkins